My Blog List

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Not Impressed by The Press

             Some of you will not like what I have to say about The Press.  Those who dined with me agreed it was not the experience expected.  Dining out for me is for a special night or a celebration, not just dining out of the house.  I am an observer of people and places.  When I walk into a restaurant, my senses go into overload.  What do I smell, garlic or fresh baked bread?  Can I see or is it dark like a cavern?  What do I hear, dishes rattling or laughter from diners? How is the greeting, friendly or nonchalant?  From all of those questions, I formulate an overall ambience within minutes, usually before being seated.  Wrong or right, that’s how I do it. 
            When I chose The Press, it was highly recommended.  Everyone I talked to told me I had to go there.  I chose it for our Ladies Night monthly dinner out. Prior to showing up for dinner, I emailed the restaurant and received confirmation of my reservation.  They were very accommodating and welcoming.  When I walked in the door, my first impression was another nearly comatose atmosphere set in under performing lighting, similar to many trendy downtown dining establishments.  Not welcoming or comforting but stating matter-of -fact, “Here we are, like us or not, this is the ambience we have chosen to feed you in.”
            I look at eating as a sensory experience as well.  How does it look, smell, taste?  We decided to order six of the small plates, reasonably priced at 3 for $10.  We were not wowed by flavor or appearance.  The dishes were underserved with no garnish or sauce and looked lonely in their little white plates.     We ordered the focacia and found it odd that they charge $1 for aged balsamic vinegar.  The focaccia was served warm and inviting.  However, the olive oil tasted musty and when I asked the server where it was from, she said it was local.  Not the best we’ve tasted.  I have better olive oil in my cupboard.
            The tzatziki chips were too hard and the dip uneventful.  The octopus salad was good but had too many peppers and onions and not enough octopus.  The piquillo peppers looked bright and inviting on the plate and were yummy, sweet and salty with just the right flavor.  The best of the six we decided.  The onion and bacon crostini was good. Although the potato croquettes had a tasty crunch and soft centered bite, they needed a dipping sauce or more flavor.  They were perfectly cooked.  The celery, blue cheese, dates, and almonds sounded like an exploding taste bite that would scream out yum but they carried a more ho hum flavor.  We ordered a soup and two entrees.  The garlic soup was without cream, yet creamy and full of garlic goodness.  We all laughed at the presentation.  The soup came in an over-sized bowl and seriously could not have had more than a ladle measure in volume for $6.  Very disappointing.  The two pasta’s were a carbonara fettuccine and a shellfish pappardelle.  No whining here.  They were delicate and delish. Overall, the company far exceeded the fare.
            What is it I desire from a restaurant meal?  Trendy, fun, new dining experiences?   I am tired of the same old dinner in the same tired décor with overpriced beverages and under performing food.  Our dinner for four exceeded $80.  Do I expect too much for that price?  Maybe.  But I do expect to be wowed.  Either by the food, the service or the atmosphere.  I wasn’t this time.  I doubt there will be a next time for The Press.



1 comment:

  1. What a great review. You need to be writing at the Sac Bee or any of the magazines associated with Sacramento as your reviews are always informative and to the point. When are you going to write the book about our wine tastings? I'm sure it would be a best cellar. I just couldn't resist the pun. Ciao

    ReplyDelete