My Blog List

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Great Expectations at Serritella's

I have great expectations when I dine out. Great service, food and atmosphere.

I got one out of three at Serritella's.

I am blessed to have so many great women in my life. This is not my monthly dining group. You know who you are because I tell you how much your company means to me. You continue to reach out to me and I am grateful every time I am included. This occasion was a birthday dining experience. I have to fasten my seatbelt when with this witty, funny, irreverent group for the sheer enjoyment of the E-ticket ride. When I am with people who really know me, my family, my quirkiness, I can truly relax and enjoy. That is what I expected to do.

I have been to Serritella’s many times over the years and have found the food and the service to be erratic. This night was no exception to the rule. There were five of us for dinner. I was the last one to arrive and the place was packed, bar and restaurant. My friends were in the bar. After I ordered a glass of wine, we notified the hostess that our party was ready to be seated. It was about 6:30. There were people hovering for our bar seats. And lots of kids and adults waiting in the area. We were seated at 7:00 p.m. The server brought out the delicious bread sticks hot from the oven with peanut butter, yum. I believe they do this knowing that you will have a long wait for dinner and so be it because they rock. They take me back to lunching at Shanley's. I miss that place.

So, we ordered. All the while, we shared, laughed and reminded each other why we enjoy the company so much.

The minestrone came. It was thinned out and slightly sweet. Missing something. Substance. The clam chowder fared much better. It was creamy and flavorful.

In the midst of waiting for drinks, looking around the restaurant it was easy to see that this is a comfortable family atmosphere. Not a fine dining experience. There were people conversing between tables. Very relaxed and warm environment. Then the meltdown occurred. Behind us. 8:00 pm, no food and screaming children. We are all mothers and meltdowns are part of the world of dining. We were not bothered by it. We remembered our own experiences dining with children. The parents quickly changed their order to go and we smiled sympathetically as they left.

8:10, dinner served. 55 minutes after ordering...it arrived lukewarm and disappointing. The best of the night was the creamy polenta with grilled veges and the worst was the veal, chewy and bland. My friend commented that it must have been old cow, not veal. And the bill was $125.00!

I have talked to people whose opinion I value that say they have never had a bad meal at Serritella’s and are loyal customers. I regret that I have never had a good meal there. I don't know that I will go back.

As for the dining companions? You complete me! Fabulous, feisty, fun.

There are great restaurants in town and for my money, I have great expectations.


www.serritellas.com

No comments:

Post a Comment