My Blog List

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dining with Ol’ Blue Eyes at the Cosmopolitan Cafe

Last month, the restaurant of choice, not mine, came from a daughter who had previously dined there. It is a rite of passage that we, after 20 years are taking our kid’s advice to dine. After all, we have set an example for them all these years.

This young lady can choose anytime. What a great dining experience this was. My only regret is that I didn’t blog earlier so that my friends could have enjoyed a romantic Valentine’s Dinner there.

I am not sure what I liked the most, the historical pictures of Sacramento or Frank crooning in the background. This restaurant has everything right. The décor is wood, tile, brown leather, monochromatic and cool. The enlarged picture of the former Woolworth’s building greets you while waiting for your table. The lighting is spectacular. A very cosmopolitan touch was Light Rail going by reminiscent of the old rail cars that used to operate on K street. I recall lunching at Woolworth’s with my Grandma, sitting on the stools and watching people go by. It was quite an adventure to go downtown from North Sacramento in the 60’s. A step back in time.

The service was stellar. Not only was it attentive and smart, the server made a point to ask if we were attending the cabaret, show to assure our meal was timely. He relaxed when we told him that we were not.

I was particularly intrigued by the three-course “My Way” menu for $25. It was well written and quite appealing. We had the appetizer polenta fritters which were delicious and a stimulated the appetite. We chose these based on the server’s recommendation. He steered us in the right direction. For the entrée, I had the ravioli with ricotta and chard. My dining friends all raved about their choices too. The ravioli was cooked to perfection and the sauce with parmesan and sage just tickled the taste buds.

Oh would I go back. And I hope to attend the cabaret too. I am not sure if I was so taken by the room, the food and the company that I just imagined this evening because it was so pleasant. I will go back and see if it has the same Black Magic spell on me.

Cosmosacramento.com

1 comment:

  1. I love the way you write….its as if you are sitting here in my office with me, smiling, giggling, and bringing me to a better place!

    ReplyDelete