My Blog List

Thursday, June 21, 2012


0709091020.jpg

Remembering Dillon


Black dog.  He had many names, Dillon the Villain, Dillon the tomato-stealing dog, Bud.  He was the best dog ever.  Even that isn’t enough.  He was ours for nine years.  Black as the night we lost him in.  The darkest evening of the year, December 21, 2011.  Six months later, we are still grieving. 

The tears flow easily.  Why did he run and not come back?  What lured him out onto a busy street?  He never wandered.  Who hit him and left him lying there?  It only took a few minutes for him to run off and never come back.

It was after midnight when I opened the door and there was his master, telling me the story, I heard the words, and wondered how we would get through this.  Him especially.  They were close this master and dog.  Shock set in.  The next day and everyday since, I feel the sting of tears.  I forget he’s gone and open the door expecting to see him.  When I see another black lab, I feel the pain of loss.  When I look into his master’s eyes and see the sadness still, I want to cry. 

A dog comes into your life and never ever leaves.  They become a part of you and your family.  We’ve had our share through the years.  Losing each one seemed harder.  We swore we would never love an animal so much that it hurts like this.  But we did.
I want to rush out and replace him.  His master doesn’t.  But his heart does.  Because all a dog can do is, love you back.  Who doesn’t need more love in their life? 

There will be another dog.  However, there will never be another big black, birdy, tomato stealing, biscuit begging, boat fishing, duck hunting, truck riding, and best friend like Dillon.  He was one of a kind.

1 comment:

  1. This made me cry! I have a black lab too, she is 7 years old and labs are the sweetest dogs.

    Loved your coffee post below this one too.
    Now I see why you placed 2nd at the Red Cup Showdown, your a coffee connoisseur! This is Laura the blogger you met. Came by to check out your blog.

    ReplyDelete